65 TOP Thermodynamics LAB VIVA Questions Answers
Thermodynamics LAB VIVA Questions and Answers pdf:
1. A quantity of matter of fixed mass and identity which is bounded by a closed surface.
2. An enclosure which permits thermal interaction.
3. An enclosure which prevents thermal interaction.
4. A system in which all the measurable variables have the same value as they had inside an enclosure after a long time, irrespective of the interaction that may have taken place.
5. A region of interest, that is involved in an analysis.
6. Any change of state occurring in a system.
7. A region in space or control volume or quantity of matter upon which attention is focussed for study.
8. A change of state which occurs while the system is adiabatically enclosed.
9. Any observable characteristic of the system.
10. A type of reversible process, characterised by the fact that the system is at each instant arbitrarily close to equilibrium.
11. A study of the transfer and conversion of energy.
12. If a thermodynamic system undergoes an adiabatic process, the net amount of work performed by it depends only on its initial and final states, and not on the sequence of intermediate state or path.
13. Depends solely upon the state of the system and not upon how that state was reached.
14. A change in the state of a system which occurs without any work being done.
15. It is impossible to construct a device which, working in a complete cycle, will produce no other effect than the transfer of a quantity of heat from a cooler to a hotter body.
16. Two states of two systems characterised by an absence of heat flow even when there is no adiabatic wall between them.
17. The loci of points corresponding to states of the same temperature.
18. A system going through some process whose initial arjd final states are the same.
19. A system which exchanges heat and work with its surroundings while operating in a cyclic process.
20. A hypothetical machine whose operation would violate the laws of thermodynamics.
21. A property of the system dependent on the mass of the system.
22. A cycle consisting of two pieces of isotherms joined by two pieces of reversible adiabatics.
23. A property of a system whose value does not depend upon the mass of the system.
24. A system in which energy may cross its boundaries, but not the mass.
25. A system envelope which permits both mass and energy to cross its boundaries.
26. A thermodynamic system which is not influenced by the surrounding.
27. An open system in which the rate of passage of mass and energy does not change with time.
28. A process in which no heat transfer takes place between the surroundings and the system but work transfer takes place.
29. A process in which fluid expands without doing any work.
30. A system in mechanical, thermal and chemical equilibrium.
31. A series of states through which a thermodynamic system passes.
32. A process in which all thermodynamic properties are the same at the start and at the end of the process.
33. A process carried out such that at every instant the system departs only infinitesimally from the thermodynamic equilibrium state.
34. If two systems are both in thermal equilibrium with a third system, they are in thermal equilibrium with each other.
35. In thermodynamics, it is defined as the sole effect external to the system that can be reduced to the rise of a weight.
36. The product of the characteristic gas constant and the molecular weight of an ideal gas.
37. The molecular weights of all the perfect gases occupy the same volume under the same conditions of pressure and temperature.
38. A property of a system, the change in whose value is the algebraic sum of the heat supply and the work done during any change in state.
39. Change of state taking place without any heat transfer.
40. In an isolated system, the energy of the system remains constant.
41. A machine that will give continuous work without receiving any energy from other system or surroundings.
42. A process in which the heat transfer is equal to change in enthalpy.
43. The pressure value product is a constant for a perfect gas.
44. In a process following pvn = C, if n = 0, 1 and °= means the process is
45. The work done in constant volume process is_______.
46. As per _______, heat transfer in a process is equal to work transfer.
47. Internal energy of an ideal gas is a function of_______.
48. Internal energy change of an ideal gas is proportional to_______.
49 cycle provides concept of maximising work output between two temperature limits.
50. Carnot cycle is independent of
51. All reversible engines operating between two fixed temperatures have efficiency.
52. A Carnot cycle operating between temperature limits of 800°K and 400°K will have efficiency of 50% when the working substance is_______.
53. If a system in a given state undergoes a reversible process till its state is in thermodynamic equilibrium with the surrounding, then work done by the system is maximum.
54. Because of the diverging nature of constant pressure lines, the value of reheat factor is_______. 55. The quantity H-TS is termed as _______.
56. The quantity U-TS is termed as _______.
57. Each unique condition of the system.
58. Homogeneous composition of the matter in a particular state.
59. A series of processes that begin and end at the same state of working fluid.
60. On which scales absolute zero is – 273 and – 460.
61. On which scale the boiling point of water is 373.16 and 672.
62. A device that transfers heat from a body at a lower temperature to a body at higher temperature.
63. Friction, throttling, heat flow, mixing of different fluids are examples of .
64. In _______ process, system tends to approach the state of equilibrium with its surroundings.
65. All spontaneous processes are
4. equilibrium state
7. thermodynamic system
8. adiabatic process
12. first law of thermodynamics
14. free motion
15. Clausius statement
16. thermal equilibrium
17. isotherms 18. cycle
19. thermodynamic machine
20. perpetual-motion machine
21. extensive property
22. Carnot cycle
23. intensive property
26. isolated system
27. steady flow
28. adiabatic process
30. thermodynamic equilibrium
32. cyclic process
33. quasi-static process
34. zeroth law of thermodynamics
36. universal gas constant
37. Avogadro’s hypothesis
38. internal energy
40. law of conservation of energy
41. perpetual motion machine
42. isobaric process
43. isothermal process
44. constant pressure, constant volume, and constant temperature
50. working substance
53. Availability of system
54. greater than 1
55. Gibbs function
56. Helmholtz function
59. thermodynamic cycle
60. Celsius and Fahrenheit.
61. Kelvin and Rankine
62. heat pump